The Govt. College Chittur was founded on August 11, 1947 in response to an increasing demand for higher education opportunities in the erstwhile state of Cochin. The College symbolizes the hopes and aspirations of the public and is a milestone in the history of Palakkad. From its humble beginning as a Junior College in 1947, the institution slowly and steadily grew into a post-graduate college in 1995.The college was accredited with B+ by the NAAC in 2009 (CGPA 2.79). The college is supported by the DST FIST grant of 96 Lakhs from 2013 onwards.
In July 1947 College was affiliated to Travancore University (which was renamed as Kerala University in 1957). In 1968 the college was affiliated to the Calicut University and it offers fourteen courses in both Science and Humanities at the degree level such as Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Zoology, Botany, Commerce, Music, Geography, History, Malayalam , Philisophy, Tamil, Economics and Electronics. At the P.G level, the College offers M.Com, with specialization in Financial Management (1971), M Sc. Mathematics (), MA Philosophy (1994), M.A. Music (1981), MA Tamil () and MA Economics (2013).
As part of extension to teaching, the College started four research centres for Mathematics (2005), Philosophy (), Music (1997) and Tamil (1976) under Calicut University. During the short span of six years 11 candidates have successfully completed Ph.D in Music. The Tamil department has produced 11 phD students and 10 publications. The Mathematics Research Centre has published 15 odd research papers in double blind peer reviewed international journals with high impact factor. The faculty members of the College are extensively involved in publications, presentation of papers in national/international seminars and undertaking research projects of UGC, DST etc.
The College gives thrust to sports and games and the students are actively participating at the University/State and National levels. To facilitate better job prospects for students, in addition to regular teaching, the College offers Add-on courses, UGC-NET/SET coaching, Entry in service, Remedial coaching etc.
As part of social extension programmes, the College is addressing the social issues through NSS, NCC, Women’s Guidance Cell, Science Clubs, etc.
The College is functioning well with the whole hearted support of the Government, PTA and Alumni.
A BRIEF HISTORICAL SKETCH
The Second Government College to be established in the erstwhile Cochin State, Chittur College came into being on the 11th August, 1947. Temporarily housed in Government Victoria Girls’ High School buildings and affiliated to the University of Madras, the College began functioning as an Arts College offering courses in Malayalam, Mathematics, Commerce, Accountancy, Logic, Music and Indian and Modern Histories for the Intermediate and Mathematics, Philosophy and Economics for the B.A. Degree Examinations. The College got affiliated to Travancore University in July, 1949 after the emergence of the Travancore-Cochin State. Complying with the regulation of the new University, B.A in Mathematics was changed to B.Sc. in Mathematics.The foundation stone of the present college building on the bank of the serene Sokanasini was laid by His Highness the Rajapramukh of Travancore-Cochin on 18th November, 1949. On 28th June, 1954 the new house of Learning was declared open by Sri Pattaom Thanu Pillai, the then Chief Minister of the State.The B.Com. Degree Course was introduced in 1951 – 52 and Science Courses were started for the intermediate in 1954 – 55. With the introduction of B.Sc. courses in Physics, Chemistry, Botany and Zoology in 1956-57 the College was growing into a full fledged Arts and Science College.The Pre-university course replaced the Intermediate course in 1956-57 and consequently the 3 year Degree coruses were begun in 1957-58. B.A. Degree course in Music was also introduced in the same year. The University of Kerala, christened after the Kerala State, became the next godmother to the College in 1957.In November, 1958 the spacious and well furnished men’s hostel to accommodate 100 boys was inaugurated by Dr. B. Ramakrishna Rao, the then Governor of Kerala. Another Governor of Kerala Sr. V.V. Giri formally declared open an equally equipped hostel for women in the college campus itself in March, 1963.The Pre-university course gave way to the Pre-degree course in 1964. In 1968 the college was affiliated to the newly started University of Calicut. Since then, particularly during the seventies, it has made great leaps in the academic field.The first Post-graduate course in Tamil Language and Literature was introduced in 1969-70, and soon followed the M.Com. course in 1971-72. The College celebrated its Silver Jubilee in 1973 though it was due in the previous year itself. The jubilee gift to the College was the degree course in Geography. In 1976-77 the College was further honoured by the University by raising it to a Research Centre for Higher studies in Tamil, leading to Ph.D. M.A. Geography and M..Sc Mathematics courses, were started in 1979-80. M.A. Music and B.A. History Main courses were started in 1981 – 82.After more than a decade the M.A. Philosophy Course was started in 1994 and B.Sc Electronics in 1999. In 2012 , M.A. Economics Course was started.